Page 1 of 1

Error 47 after upgrading

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:52 am
by Jimmy_H
I just upgraded to 5.0 of Password Max and i get this error when I open my old database files. What do i need to do to fix this?

Re: Error 47 after upgrading

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:56 am
by AuthorDirect
Jimmy wrote:I just upgraded to 5.0 of Password Max and i get this error when I open my old database files. What do i need to do to fix this?

Error code 47 indicates that the database format does not match what the application expects to find. Normally this format is automatically upgraded during the update process, but three things can prevent it:

Case One - The existing database is in use during installation. Make sure that no one has either of the old modules in use, then re-run the installation.

Case Two - The existing database was in a different location than the new installation. Run PM_UPG.EXE (PMG_UPG.EXE) and direct it to the folder where the existing database is stored.

Case Three - If upgrading from a version earlier than 4.2: The file format information is stored in UPG.TPS. Earlier versions stored UPG.TPS in the application folder, but depending on the operating system the upgrade program may have looked in the wrong location for it. From version 4.2 forward, UPG.TPS will be expected to be in the data folder. If you have more than one copy of UPG.TPS on your system, you should first make a backup of both, then try swapping their locations and then running PM_UPG.EXE (PMG_UPG.EXE).

If that still does not work, and you still have a copy of the previous version (eg. 4.11), try this:
- Install 4.11 to a new location, application and data folder in the same place.
- Copy your old data files (*.TPS) to that new location, except for UPG.TPS.
- Run version 4.11. UPG.TPS should be created automatically at this point.
- Install version 5.0 into that new location (both application and data folder).
- At this point, PMG_UPG.EXE should have successfully upgraded the database to match 5.0.

Version 5.21 specific instructions

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:52 am
by AuthorDirect
There appears that there may have been an issue in 5.2 where the file format was not being save for use in the upgrade process.

There are two solutions:

(1) Replace your current copy of UPG.TPS with
(a) Standard Edition:
(b) Groups Edition:

(2) Before installing version 5.21, run this utility:
(a) Standard Edition:
(b) Groups Edition:

Where is PM_UPG.EXE?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:43 am
by AuthorDirect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:08 am
by AuthorDirect
If the above procedures do not resolve the errorcode 47, e-mail us and request a copy of the current UPG.TPS.

Error 47

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:48 am
by jkimmell
I most recently upgraded my Passwords Max in October of 07. I am in the process of building myself a new pc and want to put Passwords Max on the new pc. Since I didn't have a copy of the version I was on (I can't tell you what version it was), I upgraded to 5.43.5430 since I wasn't certain if my older version would be compatible to upgrade to the most recent version. Now that I ran the upgrade, I get the following: \"File PP_DATA\\!Pwd could not be opened. Error: Invalid Record Declaration (47). Press OK to end this application. When I press OK, I get Halt - File Access Error.

I tried the suggestions in this spam, but perhaps I need a different version of the upg.tps.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:25 am
by AuthorDirect
Try , and if you still get the error, please contact us via e-mail at direct support at authord dot com.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:20 am
by AuthorDirect
If you get an errorcode 47 when upgrading to version 5.7 from version 5.59 and below, upgrade the database format the version 5.60 format. This can be done using .

Re: Error 47 after upgrading

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:16 pm
by CHooper
I had the same problem upgrading from PMG 5.78 to 5.85. My problem was file permissions. The MOVEFILE step failed, but continued anyway.

As recommended in this thread, I ran PMG_UPG.exe against every one of my databases and 4 of them failed with this error "FM3: unable to upgrade file - no file name available". I had to delete the folders holding the databases and restore from a backup I took before the upgrade, then set the permissions correctly. Resetting perms on the files post-upgrade didn't work. Especially on topspeed.tcf. Administrators only had READ access to the file. Even taking ownership wasn't enough. However, once all of the files in each database folder were deleted, restored and permissions explicitly set, I was able to successfully run PMG_UPG.exe on those databases.

So far, so good; though my users haven't reported back on whether they can access their data. No diagnotic like a user...